Grab your makeup bag and shake out the contents. What brands are you seeing? If you have any of the big makeup brands – read on!
A recent published report by Ethical Consumer magazine scored makeup brands based on how they perform on factors such as:
- Animal testing
- Workers’ rights
- Environmental policies
Here’s a snapshot.
So generally a woeful scorecard for the big brands.
Some reasons they failed the tests were:
- Although a makeup brand may not conduct tests on animals, they are owned by a larger company that allows animal testing
- They may boast a good ethical footprint of their own, but their parent company has questionable ethical standards
- Not signing up to the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil
- Using plantations that Amnesty International found to have a ‘wide range of abuses’ including child labour and exposure to toxic chemicals
- Cosmetics that are sold in China are tested on animals as legislated by Chinese regulation
- The use of Microbeads in their products – a “toxic time bomb” for our already fragile marine eco-systems
So what can you do?
Go ethical to make a difference to you and the planet!
The good news is we’ve made going ethical easy for you as all THE-V-SPOT products are personally vetted and selected to be in line with our values: Vegan, Eco and Ethical. Our products are:
- Never, ever tested on animals. EVER!
- A collection of brands that can clearly demonstrate safe and fair working practices across their whole supply chain
- Companies who source their ingredients with integrity ensuring they are both sustainable and fair
- Genuinely clean beauty brands who are not out to “greenwash”
- Fully transparent in their ingredients and labelling
- Selected on their true natural status. We avoid products that contain toxins, cheap fillers, chemicals, and other questionable ingredients
- From skilled artisans who mostly handcraft their own product
And the best thing is that the ethical, Vegan and natural world of cosmetics is extensive – so you won’t miss out on anything. Far from it! You will benefit from a world of beautiful, truly clean beauty.
P.S. Don’t forget to start your own THE-V-SPOT Wish List to share with your loved ones. Make it easy for them to buy for you, and show them an ethical lifestyle can be for everyone!